John W. Keates
The collection of John W. Keates (or Keats) was presented to the Giggleswick School in Yorkshire, England by his widow in 1885, where it was reorganized and relabeled. The original labels have "JK" on one side and the label data on the reverse. The Giggleswick labels note the donation by "Mrs. Keates." The collection later went to the Pig Yard Club Museum (P.Y.C. Museum) at Settle, North Yorkshire. There it was again reorganized, by the industrial archeologist Arthur Raistrick (1896-1991). Eventually the trustees of the museum died off, and the collection was broken up and sold.
Unpublished notes left by Ronald E. Bentley
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||43 x 90 mm,|
Original John W. Keates label, with "JK" on one side and specimen information on the other (pre-1885)
||23 x 53 mm,|
Label for a Keates specimen in the collection of the Giggleswick School in Yorkshire
||38 x 78 mm,|
Label for a John W. "Keats" (Keates) specimen in the collection if the Pig Yard Museum in Settle, England.