In 1847, Bernard Amend (1821-1911), who was then assistant to Baron Justus von Liebig (1803-1873), Professor or Chemistry at the University of Munich, was studying chemistry at the University of Giessen. There he met American chemist Eben Norton Horsford (1818-1893), and as a result of their discussions he decided to emigrate to America in 1848. He married Bertha Schenk.
Amend had expected to obtain a position under Horsford, who had been appointed Rumford Professor of Chemistry at the recently established Lawrence Scientific School at Harvard University. When that didn't work out, he took a position as chemist in a small pharmacy owned by a physician. The owner retired in 1851, and Amend came into control of the business, which was then located at the corner of 18th Street and Third Avenue in New York.
Carl (Charles) Eimer was born in Darmstadt, Germany on February 1, 1823. He had trained as a pharmacist before emigrating to America in November of 1853, and had become friends with Bernard Amend while in college. Eimer became a naturalized of the US citizen in 1860, and married Sophia Engle in Manhattan in 1871.
A few years after Amend took over the pharmacy he was joined by his old college friend, Carl Eimer, and together they renamed the company "Eimer & Amend." The company soon became the country's leading importer of drugs and chemicals.
Carl Eimer's nephew, August Eimer, joined the firm in 1873 and eventually rose to the position of president (1915-1926); he also married Bernard Amend's daughter, Mary. In 1874 they added chemical laboratory supplies to their stock, and also had a glass-blowing shop in New York run by Emil Greiner. Eimer retired in 1882 (and had died by 1888), leaving Amend solely in charge. In 1886 Amend built a new seven-story brick building at the same location. In 1897 the company (originally a proprietorship) was formally incorporated. They advertised "Collections of metals, minerals, rocks, crystals, crystal models, etc."
The company was a pioneer importer of European laboratory supplies, serving Thomas Edison, E.R. Squibb, Charles Steinmetz, Henry Ford and many other notable customers. Their main office remained at the same location, but by 1917 they had established branches in Pittsburgh and Ottawa as well. Amend was also involved in the establishment of the American Chemical Society. The Eimer & Amend company was acquired by the Fisher Scientific Company in 1940.
[See also Bernard G. Amend.]
ROSENFELD, L. (1999) Four Centuries of Clinical Chemistry. CRC, p. 245-246.
SCHLEGEL, C. W. (1918-1926) Schlegel's American Families of German Ancestry in the United States. American Historical Society.
ANONYMOUS (1888) Illustrated New York; The Metropolis of To-Day.
History of Fisher Scientific. Lane Memorial Library, www.hampton.lib.nh.us.
School of Mines Quarterly, Columbia University, New York (1898).
Stowe-Fuller Co. (1914) Catalog containing useful information and tables appertaining to the use of fire brick, silica, magnesia, chrome, fire clay brick and other refractory materials.
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925.
Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1500s-1900s.
U.S. Federal Census, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 5 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 5
||The Eimer & Amend building in New York, built in 1886.|
||1898 ad for Eimer & Amend -- Note the specialization in "Collections of metals, minerals, rocks, crystals..."|
||40 x 90 mm|
||38 x 87 mm|
||43 x 81 mm|