John Eyermann was born in Easton, Pennsylvania on January 15, 1867, the son of Edward Heister Eyermann (1845-1874) and Alice Sibila Heller, and the grandson of John Eyermann (1808-1883), all of Easton. Following his father's death (when John was just 7 years old) his mother remarried, to Charles L. Hemingway, a clerk at an Easton livery stable. Hemingway was a mineral collector, and may have influenced the young Eyermann in that direction.
Eyermann married Lucy E. Maxwell in 1888, and together they had three children: Ethel (1892), Marguerite (1895) and John Jr. (1899-1968). He attended Lafayette College in Easton, graduating in 1884, and later joined the faculty there, lecturing in Mineralogy for a number of years. In fact, in 1888 a mansion house (originally known as "Oakhurst," now known as the "McKelvey House") was built especially for him on High Street overlooking the Delaware River, about three blocks from the campus; he lived there at least from 1888-1891. In 1889 and 1911 he published works on the mineralogy of Pennsylvania. His father and grandfather were economically very successful, and it is unlikely that John needed a salary to live on; he listed his principal occupation on the 1900 census as "capitalist," so he was probably living primarily on the income from his investments.
By 1920, John Eyerman (but not his wife Lucy) had moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he listed himself in the census records as a scientist for a research company. In 1930, John (no longer living with any family) was a lodger in Los Angeles and listed himself as a mining geologist. Also in Los Angeles, but at a different location in 1920 and 1930, was his son John Eyerman (Jr.). John Jr. was working in 1920 as a cameraman for the movie industry, but by 1930 had gone on to become a mining geologist like his father.
Little is known about the nature of John Sr.'s mineral collection, or whether it was built by purchase or field collecting, but part or all of it was ultimately donated to Lafayette College following his death in Los Angeles on December 30, 1945.
CLIFFORD, H. F. (2003) Cliffords, from New Jersey to Westmoreland County Pennsylvania and beyond, (out of print), updated and on line at (http://www3.telus.net/cliffordweb/
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2020)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||57 x 74 mm,
||49 x 67 mm|
||48 x 67 mm,|
Reverse side of the label shown above, dated 1915