(fl. 1857 -1891)
Dr. Samuel Egger established the "Budapester Münzen-, Mineralien-, und Antiquitäten-Comptoir" in Pest (of Budapest), Hungary at least as early as 1857. Fitz (1993) showed two labels (hand-dated 1857) for “S. Egger in Pest,” suggesting that Samuel Egger opened his business first in Budapest no later than 1857. Some labels merely say "S. Egger in Pest"; others say "Egger S. és társa [“and company”] Budapesten."
At some time between 1863 and 1867 Egger opened a store (as S. Egger & Co.) at Herrengasse 5 in Vienna as well. In Wiener Numismatische Monatshefte (1868), Dr. Samuel Egger gives both Vienna and Pest addresses for his dealership: Herrengasses 5 in Vienna and Lloydgebäude in Pest. Numismatischer Anzeiger (1869) gives his street address in Pest as Dorotheengasse 11 (elsewhere Dorotheagasse 14), Lloydgebäude. (Not to be confused with the Brüder Egger company of David and Heinrich Egger in Vienna.)
Leopold Kastner's Addressenbuch für Handel, Gewerbe und Actien-Gesellschaften der Oesterreichisch-ungarishen Monarchie (Vienna, 1870) lists the firm of Samuel Egger, Antiken- und Naturalienhändler. Procurist [buyer] Jakob Egger, at Herrengasse 5, Vienna. Lehmann's Allgemeiner Wohnungs-Anzeiger for Vienna (1876) lists the firm of S. Egger & Company, founded May 16, 1870, dealing in gold, silver and antiques as well as natural history collections and old weapons (“... dann Jakob Egger Jeder zeichnet”). But Fitz (1993) put the founding of the Vienna branch of the company in 1867, at Herrengasse 5; others say 1863. Augustinerstrasse 8 is an address for Jakob Egger appearing as early as 1870, and is reported by Fitz (1993) as the S. Egger & Company address in 1888-1890.
Dr. Samuel Egger died in 1891, and thereafter the Vienna branch was taken over by his son or brother, Jakob Egger (1829-1919), who managed it until his own death.
Samuel Egger was a considerable collector of ancient and medieval European antiquities in his own right. His important collection of antiquities was sold at auction in 1891 by Sotheby, Wilkinson and Hodge in London.
FITZ, O. (1993) Eine Sammlung erzählt / Beitrag zu Inhalt und Geschichte der Mineralien- und Gesteinssammlung an der Abteilung Baugeologie des Institutes für Bodenforschung und Baugeologie, Universität für Bodenkultur Wien. Mitteilungen des Institutes für Bodenforschung und Baugeologie, Abteilung Baugeologie, Universität für Bodenkultur Wien, Sonderheft 1, 80 p.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1
||37 x 52 mm|