Frank H. Stadtmueller
Frank H. Stadtmueller was born at his family's farm in West Hartford, Connecticut on August 12, 1861, the second son of the dairy farmer and mineral dealer Louis Stadtmüller (1821-1903) and his wife Philippine (Phelleppena) D. Roemer (1823-1901). The family lived on the farm for five years following his birth, then moved to New Haven in 1866 (probably after selling the farm to the Beech family, who were buying up land to create the extensive Vine Hill dairy farm). Louis enrolled at the Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University, and eventually became the university's in-house mineral dealer.
Frank was listed in the 1880 Census as an "apprentice apothecary." After graduating from Yale in 1885 he was hired by Charles E. Beech to manage the Vine Hill Farm dairy operation. (He appears as a “farmer” on the 1900 and 1910 censuses.)
Frank was listed in The Naturalists' Directory for 1905 as living in Elmwood, Connecticcut with a mineral collection and a willingness to do exchanges. One of his labels is dated 1919 (by the buyer) on the back. He died of pneumonia on January 11, 1918, at Vine Hill Farm. At the time of his death he was the State Dairy and Food Commissioner for Connecticut, and was one of the best known dairy experts in the state; he and Charles Beech are credited with originating the concept of certified hygienic “clinical milk” for babies.
He was survived by his widow (Catherine “Kate” Sternberg, married in 1889) and one son (Frank Grandville Stadtmueller, born 1892); his other son, Louis Roemer Stadtmiller, died in 1917. Some or all of his mineral collection appears to have been sold to Ward's Natural Science Establishment in Rochester, New York, who resold it with his original labels retained.
OBITUARY: Norwich Bulletin, January 11, 1918.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||44 x 65 mm,|
Dated on the reverse, "Dec. 8, 1919
||44 x 65 mm,|
On the reverse is written (in a different hand from the front): "Purchased from Ward's Natural Science Est Rochester N.Y. Mon. April 29, 1946. 25¢"
||48 x 61 mm|