Berlin Technical University
The Royal Mining Academy in Berlin was established in 1770 under Friedrich II. The mineralogical collection there was founded in 1781 as the Königliches Mineralienkabinett ("Royal Mineral Collection"). In 1889 half of the collection was transferred to Humboldt University and half remained with the "Bergakademie Berlin," which in 1916 became part of the Technische Hochschule Berlin, and in 1946 became the Technische Universität Berlin. The collection consists of approximately 100,000 computer-cataloged mineral specimens (1500 of which are on exhibit), and is especially rich in specimens from eastern Bavaria (especially Hagendorf), Tsumeb, Namibia, and pegmatite deposits worldwide.
PETERSEN, O.V., et al. (1994) World Directory of Mineral Collections. Mineralogical Record, Tucson.
STRUNZ, H. (1970) Von den Bergakademie zur Technischen Iniversität Berlin 1770-1970. Verlag Glückauf, Essen.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||45 x 74 mm,|
Label from the Hochschule period, 1916-1946.
||61 x 88 mm,|
Label dated 1955
||38 x 55 mm,|
Label dated 1956