The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

 Aufbauschule Amberg     

The mineral collection of the Aufbauschule Amberg ("Amberg Teachers' College") began as the collection of the Michelfeld Benedictine Monastery in 1717. The monastery was dissolved by the Bavarian Government in 1803, as part of their "secularization" program, and the collection of 435 specimens was moved to the Amberg Lyceum in 1809, along with mineral collections from various other monasteries and aristocrats like Count Philipp Butler von Clonebouch. The collection was then reorganized and labeled, with glued-un labels giving catalog number and alchemical symbol for the dominant element. By 1853 the collection numbered over 8,000 specimens. In 1881 the collection was moved to the Aufbauschule Amberg, where more specimens were added and rearranged in 1952. In 2009 the school administrators, unable to find a home for the collection in any museum, gave away many specimens to members of the Vereinigung der Freunde der Mineralogie und Geologie (VFMG; the "Friends of Mineralogy and Geology Association") and then sold many more specimens via the Internet.

MEIER, S. (2012) Eine Zeitreise in die Welt der Mineralienkabinette und Klosterschulen. Die "bewegte" Geschichte der Amberger Naturaliensammlung. Lapis, 37 (2), 32-38.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at:

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2020)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3

The Mineralogical Record -  Aufbauschule Amberg 50 x 70 mm (courtesy of Armin Sorg)
The Mineralogical Record -  Aufbauschule Amberg 70 x 88 mm (courtesy of Armin Sorg)
The Mineralogical Record -  Aufbauschule Amberg Various small glued-on labels from the Aufbauschule Amberg collection.
Contents copyright © 2020 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by