Frank W. Hess
Frank Wesley Hess was born in Kingston, New Hampshire, on January 11, 1907, the son of Annie Mae Brackett and Frank Yaeger Hess (1881-1951), a Harvard graduate who taught high school chemistry and science. Frank Wesley graduated in 1924 from Central High School, where his father was on the faculty, and then earned a two-year degree from Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1926. He married Dorothy Marian Sturgis in 1931, and after settling in Agawam (a suburb of Springfield, Massachusetts) they had a daughter, Marian Mulford Hess, and a son, John Yaeger Hess.
Frank began collecting minerals around 1935, and by 1940 had amassed a collection of over 900 specimens. He was an avid field collector (including blasting for specimens) and built his collection further through exchanges. He also had a display cabinet with a fluorescent lamp. In March 1941, the Connecticut Valley Mineral Club was formed in Springfield and elected Frank Hess as its first president. The club held rotating meetings at several locations, including the Springfield Museum of Natural History, Wesleyan College, Amherst College, and Smith College as well as the Northfield and Deerfield Academies.
During World War II Frank enlisted in the US Army, was inducted in 1943, and served in the Army Corp of Engineers. Following the war, he worked various jobs before joining the Monarch Life Insurance Company of Springfield, and ultimately retired in 1972 after more than 20 years of service. He stayed active with the Connecticut Valley Mineral Club at least through 1969, and died on September 6, 1987. His collection was dispersed by mineral dealer Ron Bentley.
THANKS to Mark Jacobson fort the historical research.
US Federal Census 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Social Security Death Index.
Obituary: Springfield, Massachusetts Union-News, September 9, 1987, p. 57, col. 1-2.
Marriage: Springfield, Massachusetts Republican, October 8, 1931 p. 30, col. 8.
Mineral club formed: Springfield, Massachusetts Republican, March 9, 1941, p. 9, col. 4.
Mineral Club: Springfield, Massachusetts Republican, March 18, 1942, p. 6, col. 3.
"Mineral collection turns home into museum." Springfield, Massachusetts Republican, February 25, 1940, p. 45, col. 1-3.
Springfield, Massachusetts Republican, December 3, 1943, p. 5, col 2-3.
Springfield, Massachusetts Republican, September 8,1915, p. 9, col. 2.
Rocks and Minerals, January 1939, v. 14, p. 23.
Springfield, Massachusetts, Union, October 2, 1969, p. 38, col. 1. and November 7, 1969, p. 10, col. 1.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 2 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 2
||Frank Hess (1926)|
||A selection of Frank Hess labels, 54 to 65 mm wide.|