The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

University of Bonn
(1818-    )

The University of Bonn was founded in 1818, and in that same year a university Museum of Natural History was established in Poppelsdorf Castle. The present-day museum of mineralogy and petrology evoled from the mineralogy department of that early museum. Under Gerhard vom Rath (who was Director of the Museum from 1872 to 1880) the Museum developed an international reputation. It't most important acquisition was the collection of mineral dealer August A. Krantz--14,000 specimens. In February 1945 much of the castle and its collections were destroyed by bombing. A number of generous gifts helped to restore the mineral collectin but it was not able to re-open to the public until 1956. The collection today contains over 50,00 mineral specimens; it is still housed and exhibited in Poppelsdoef Castle.

PETERSEN, O. V., et al. (1994) World Directory of Mineral Collections. Mineralogical Record, Tucson.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at:

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 4 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 4

The Mineralogical Record - University of Bonn
The Mineralogical Record - University of Bonn 60 x 84 mm
The Mineralogical Record - University of Bonn 75 x 77 mm
The Mineralogical Record - University of Bonn 45 x 52 mm,
A label for a specimen from the Wüster Collection.
Contents copyright © 2019 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by