The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

Theodore S.  Gold
(1818-1906)

Theodore Sedgwick Gold, an early mineralogist and teacher, was born in Madison, New York on March 2, 1818, the son of Dr. Samuel Wadsworth and Phebe (Cleveland) Gold. During that year the family moved to Cornwall, Connecticut, his father's hometown. In 1824 they moved to Goshen, where Samuel practiced medicine for the next 15 years; he then returned to Cornwall to farm his family acreage.

Theodore S. Gold graduated from Yale College in 1835. He spent three years after graduation as a teacher and principal at the Goshen and Waterbury academies, and as a student of medicine, botany and mineralogy at Yale. In 1842 he began farming with his father on Cream Hill, West Cornwall, with no resources but their much-neglected farm. In 1845 they established on their farm the Cream Hill Agricultural School, which was successfully conducted till 1869. He was an enthusiastic student of mineralogy, botany and various other departments of natural history, giving both instruction and inspiration to his students among whom was George Jarvis Brush in 1846, who later became a prominent mineralogist at Yale.

Gold originated the movement in 1850 which resulted in the formation in 1852 of the Connecticut State Agricultural Society, and from the beginning he held some official position in its control. In 1866, at the establishment of the Connecticut Board of Agriculture, he was chosen its secretary, which office he held for many years.

In 1864, he and a group of partners obtained from the general assembly a charter for the "Connecticut Soldiers' Orphans' Home." This was located at Mansfield, and during its maintenance, or until 1874, he was secretary of the corporation. He was one of the editors of The Homestead, an agricultural paper published in Hartford from 1856 to 1861; and in 1878 published a history of Cornwall, Connecticut. He was a member of the board of control of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, and one of the trustees and secretary of the Storrs Agricultural School at Mansfield.

Gold was twice married: first, at Bridgeport, September 13, 1843, to Caroline E., daughter of Charles and Eunice Lockwood, who died April 25, 1857; and second, on the 4th of April, 1859, to Mrs. Emma (Tracy) Baldwin, daughter of A. W. Tracy of Rockville. He had nine children.

Reference:
SPALDING, J. A. (1891) Illustrated Popular Biography of Connecticut. Published by J. A. Spalding Hartford Connecticut.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Contents copyright © 2019 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net