Arthur LeRoy Inglesby
Arthur Leroy "Doc" Inglesby, one of Utah's most prominent early mineral collectors, was born in Oxford South, Ontario, Canada on November 2, 1873, the son of Elizabeth Gibson and Albert Inglesby, a farmer. He moved to the US in 1888, was naturalized in 1896, and graduated from Northwestern University Dental School in 1898. He married May Bourgard in Salt Lake City in 1906, and together they had one son, Kenneth Jerome Inglesby, born in Bingham Canyon, Utah, in 1908 (died 1924). In November 1939, Henry C. Dake (writing in The Mineralogist) said of him:
"Probably the best known mineral collector of the early mining days of Utah is Dr. A. L. Inglesby of Fruita. Dr. Inglesby, as a dentist, first came to Utah over 50 years ago  to open offices in the roaring mining camp of Mercur, where he remained for nearly 25 years [until 1912]. Then, with the opening of the new camp in Bingham Canyon, he established his offices at the new site of activity. Soon after Dr. Inglesby reached Utah he was attracted by the superb mineral specimens which were being taken in quantity from many of the mines. His interest in minerals grew and has continued to the present day, although he has retired from active professional work. With his interest in minerals it was inevitable that noted collectors and scientists soon came to seek and consult with Dr. Inglesby, and through these associates he supplied collectors, museums and scientists with numerous marvelous specimens. He was well acquainted with the late Colonel Roebling, and Bert Holden of Cleveland. Krantz at Bonn on the Rhine in Germany was another of his correspondents for many years. George English purchased many of his duplicate specimens, while scientists like Professor Kemp often called in person to induce him to guide them to noted localities. Among other services to science, he supplied the first pyrite crystals to Dr. Austin Rogers of Stanford, who later wrote a monograph on this noted occurrence. Dr. Inglesby divides his residence between the isolated town of Fruita and his home in Salt Lake City. He still enjoys field trips, and in late years he has traveled over many of the little-explored regions of east-central Utah."
"Amateur photography is the hobby of Arthur L. Inglesby, 155 First avenue. "Doc" Ingelsby for years has specialized in photographing the scenic wonders of the West, and has what is considered one of the finest collections of the sort in existence." Salt Lake Tribune, August 22, 1934.
"Few people know more about Utah during its mining boom days around the turn of the century than does Doc [Inglesby]. Born in Canada, he went to Nebraska as a boy, worked for a time as a typesetter and then studied dentistry at Northwestern University in Chicago. From there he went to Mercur, Utah, when it was a mining boom town, later practiced dentistry in Bingham Canyon in 1906 when it, too, was in its heyday. He saw fortunes won and lost and became intimately associated with the men who are now big names in the mining history of Utah." "Besides being a good dentist, "Doc," as everyone called him, ran the Bingham-to-Salt Lake stage line, operated the garage, and had one of the finest rock collections in the state." Salt Lake Tribune, November 11, 1950.
Doc Inglesby died November 9, 1960; he was a member of the Masons and a master of the Canyon Lodge. He photographed many scenic areas of Utah; his photo collection is now preserved in the Utah State Historical Society.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2020)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1
||48 x 73 mm|