The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

A. E.  Curry

Almon Earl "Bill" Curry was born July 10, 1897 in Sardis, Ellis County, Texas, the son of Ida and A. M. Curry (a farmer). He married a woman named Varina L. (1899-1992), and in 1918 was living in Dallas. It was there that the Texas Mineral Society met in later years, and he was elected president of the Society in 1944-1945. He was working for the American Rail Road Express Company in Dallas in 1918, but moved to San Angelo, Texas around 1938. In 1939-1942 he was working for the Higginbotham Company in San Angelo; in 1950 he was working as a bookkeeper for Bowen Plumbing in San Angelo, and his residence was on Wall Road.

He built a building out of petrified wood in the late 1930s in San Angelo, calling it "Curry's Wonder Shop." He displayed his mineral collection there and sold specimens to visitors. According to a note in the December 1944 issue of Desert Magazine and a clipping in the local newspaper, he hosted some 450 people from around the state there in 1944. The reporter wrote: "Mr. Curry's museum is an outstanding one, featuring crystals." He died in San Angelo, Texas on June 26, 1975.

Beverly Walker, personal communication, 2010.
Desert Magazine, December 1944.
U.S. Federal Census, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930.
Worley's San Angelo City Directory, 1939, 1942, 1950.
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918.
Social Security Death Index.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at:

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2019)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1

The Mineralogical Record - A. E.  Curry 43 x 68 mm
Contents copyright © 2019 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by